Sunday, August 28, 2011

About Matt March-August

It's crazy how much time has passed. I can't believe the last post I made was when Matt was 6 1/2 weeks old...he's now a little over 6 1/2 MONTHS old. I guess that means lots of pictures.

So, since my last post in March I've quit my job and become a full time stay at home mom =D. I was required to go back to work for two weeks if I wanted to be eligible for rehire in the future...so I went back in the beginning of April and my last day was April 16. (I really enjoyed that job overall, so decided I'd rather leave on good terms just in case I want to work there again in the future.) I love being a stay at home mom.

Matt now laughs and smiles all the time. I LOVE it. He has a very easy going personality. He jabbers a lot and loves to play with rings and toys that "crackle" (I guess paper is inside the fabric so when he moves his hand it makes a crackle sound.) I also just found a few days ago that he likes to play with paper and wrinkle it up. He also loves his pacifier and can pick it up and put it in his mouth.

He sits up by himself for 30 seconds or so...sometimes a bit longer if he isn't trying to reach for something. He loves it when I sing songs and do actions with him. His current favorite is I'm a Little Teapot.

He sleeps the night and is an excellent sleeper.

We started him on solids at 5 months (so about a month and a half ago) and he likes everything we've given him. He was unsure about all the vegetables I gave him until he tasted sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are definitely his favorite but he will eat the other vegetables now without spitting it out. (Veggies he's eaten so far are carrots, yellow squash, butternut squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, peas and green beans.) He's now tasting fruits and likes them without a problem at all. (So far he's had banana, pears, peaches and applesauce.) He is a good eater although at times he'd rather jabber than eat.

His last doctor appointment (the 6 month check up) a couple weeks ago we found that he had lost 1 1/2 pounds since his 4 month old appointment. He weighed 13 pounds at his 4 month check up and was 11 pounds 9 ounces at his 6 month check up so the doctor suggested we put him on a mostly formula diet -- and a high calorie one at that -- which basically means we add extra powdered formula. So normally for a 4 oz bottle it takes 2 scoops of powder, we add 3 now. (I was breast feeding him) Apparently my milk had mostly dried up which is why he was losing weight. (My guess is it started happening around the time he began sleeping the night through.) We've decided that he'll just be on formula now because it's too hard to try and keep my milk supply up to where it would need to be while he's drinking formula. It was kinda sad and hard for me to deal with and accept it in the beginning because I wanted him to get all the benefits of nursing...but at least he got 6 months of it so that's better than nothing.

He's started gaining weight back (yay!) and according to our scale is at 14 pounds just 2 weeks later. He actually has an official weigh in at the doctor tomorrow as well as his 6 month immunizations. ** EDIT: He weighed 13 pounds, 12 ounces at the doctor appointment today **

It's amazing how much he has grown and is learning. Here's some updated pics since my last post.


2 months old


2 months old


3 months old


3 months old


4 months old


4 months old


4 1/2 - 5 months old


4 1/2 - 5 months old


5 1/2 months old.


5 1/2 months old


July 4. We FINALLY were able to get him to fall asleep. We were celebrating the 4th of July with family and he was convinced if he didn't stay awake he was going to miss something. He finally fell asleep and guess what...he didn't miss anything.


Trying carrots. LOL. As you can see from his expression he was not a fan at first.


6 months old

No comments: