Friday, September 12, 2008

Work

I had an extremely interesting day at work today. Tornado sirens went off today and the managers decided we were going to have an evacuation. I work in a call center, so they've never practiced evacuations before. It was definately interesting. Everyone went into the hallway, so we had about 100+ people in a hallway that's supposed to hold 52 max. We were there for almost an hour and then got to go back to work. The evacuation was honestly really boring. All we did was sit in the hall and sit around or talk.

Anyway, we went back on the floor (that's what they call taking/making calls.) I left for lunch at 7:10 PM (which is normal. I'm supposed to be back by 7:40.) When I got back around 7:37 or so, the ceiling tile over where I was sitting had fallen down onto the desk, as well as a bunch of water. Someone had moved all my stuff to a new desk and put a tarp over the area I was sitting. The ceiling was dripping water. Apparently since it's been raining so much over the past few days, there's a leak in the roof some where, and it soaks into the ceiling tiles and makes them fall down, at least in this case. I'm so glad I was at lunch when it fell. Someone that watched it fall told me that if I was sitting there, there would have been no way for me to avoid it...meaning I could have easily ended up at the hospital had I been there when it fell. Just the thought of what could have happened makes me like O_O! It's at least an 8 or 9 foot drop from the ceiling to where I would have been sitting.

Anyway, everything was ok, but it was kind of scary. Earlier at some point a different ceiling tile collapsed on the other side of the building. I didn't hear about that until several hours after this happened...it's not very comforting to have the chance of ceiling tiles falling down on your head. Hopefully they'll get that fixed once it stops raining enough to be able to work on it.

1 comment:

Darla said...

Yikes! Definitely don't want to have to worry about your physical safety when your job is taking phone calls. That's crazy! Hopefully they do get it fixed soon.